The film was sent of for developing and I received the negatives back through the post without prints. I then scanned the negatives into the computer with no adjustment on the scanner other than selecting a film type that was close to the film I used. The resulting images were large tif files. Below is the image I started with.
|Before. Scan from 35mm colour film to Tif.|
Light-room advises that you start at the top of the settings and work your way down, so this is what I did. I adjusted the contrast to give a punchier picture (for a detailed view of the settings click on the LR4 settings image). I then adjusted the highlights, shadows, whites and blacks to eliminate any clipping warnings but also make sure there were some decent blacks.
A tiny bit of clarity and vibrance just added a little sharpening and mid tone punch.
What cannot be seen in the settings panel is the next step. Some localised processing was required, so I added a graduated filter running from the left hand edge to roughly a third of the way in. This was set to exposure and at a negative value to bring the white building down a bit. The same was done from the bottom of the image to approximately a quarter of the way up to lead the eye into the lighter centre of the frame.
Finally, I straightened the image a tiny amount and then cropped a little of the bottom and the right hand side. The resulting image can be seen below.
|After processing in Adobe Light-room 4.|